- Telephone:+31 20 59 86327
- Room nr:2a-70
- Unit:faculteit der rechtsgeleerdheid/faculty of law ( rechtstheorie en rechtsgeschiedenis )
- Position:Professor of Legal Methodology
Bart van Klink is Professor of Legal Methodology. He is responsible for the skills training in the legal curriculum, consisting of the following courses: Academic Legal Skills, Moot Court and Methods of Legal Research (amongst others). Between 1995 en 2009 he was lecturer at the Department of Jurisprudence and Legal History, Tilburg University. In 1998 he graduated cum laude on a thesis about legal communication and symbolism. In 2009 he was appointed at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, where he gave his inaugural lecture on legal forms and legal change in 2010. Moreover, Van Klink is member of the board of the Dutch association for the Sociology of Law (VSR) and editor-in-chief of the international journal Law & Method.
Legal Skills (Juridische vaardigheden)
Moot Court (Pleitoefening)
Introduction to Jurisprudence (Inleiding tot de rechtswetenschap)
Methods of Legal Research (Methoden van rechtswetenschappelijk onderzoek)
Legal research lab (PhD course on legal research skills)
Van Klink participates in the research programme Boundaries of Law, in particular in the research group Time & Law. He is interested in methodological issues concerning law and legal research as well as in legal change and development. Recently, he has edited volumes on symbolic legislation and biolaw, the fact-norm distinction and academic learning. Moreover, Van Klink publishes on topics such as the role of authority in law, radical temporality, law and resistance, law and language, populism and the rhetorical justification of exceptional measures in situations of war and in the fight against terrorism.
Legal theory, political theory, sociology of law, legal methods, legal skills, multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary research, hermeneutics, rhetorics, legal reasoning, law and language, rule of law, authority, law and politics, law and resistance, populism, war on terror, legal change.
- Klink, B.M.J. van (2013). The Role of Hierarchy, Example, and Language in Learning. A Confrontation between a Liberal and a 'Critical' Understanding of Legal Education. Law & Method, 3 (1), 26-47.
- Klink, B.M.J. van & Lembcke, O.W. (2013). What Rules the Rule of Law? A Comparison between Michael Oakeshott and Hans Kelsen. In M. Henkel & O.W. Lembcke (eds.), Praxis und Politik - Michael Oakeshott im Dialog (pp. 225-246). Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck.
- Klink, B.M.J. van & Taekema, H.S. (2012). Limits and Possibilities of Interdisciplinary Research into Law. ARSP. Archiv für Rechts- und Sozialphilosophie. Beiheft, 17-3
- Klink, B.M.J. van (2011). Symbolic Power: Political Rhetoric in a State of Exception. In T. van Haaften (Ed.), Bending Opinion. Essays on Persuasion in the Public Domain (pp. 307-325). Leiden: Leiden University Press.
- Klink, B.M.J. van & Taekema, H.S. (2011). On the Border. Limits and Possibilities of Interdisciplinary Research. In B.M.J. van Klink & H.S. Taekema (Eds.), Law and Method. Interdisciplinary Research into Law (pp. 7-32). Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck.
VU University Amsterdam
Faculteit of Law
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam
Verening vd Sociaalwetenschappeljike bestudering vh Recht