- Telephone:+31 20 59 83293
- Room nr:2a-96
- Unit:faculteit der rechtsgeleerdheid/faculty of law (transnational legal studies)
- May 2010 – current: PhD candidate at the VU Amsterdam, department of Transnational Legal Studies.
- 2009 – 2010: consultant and visiting lecturer, United Nations-Mandated University for Peace, San José, Costa Rica.
- Prior to this, she held research and intern positions at the New Zealand Human Rights Commission (Auckland, New Zealand), South Asia Human Rights Documentation Centre (New Delhi, India), Pew Initiative on Food and Biotechnology (Washington, DC), and European Environmental Bureau (Brussels, Belgium).
- JD (2007) University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia.
- BA International Development (2003); BA Environmental Policy (2003) American University, Washington DC.
Jessica Lawrence participates in the faculty research program Boundaries of Law and conducts research in the programme ‘Minding other states’ business: free trade, fair trade, and clean trade in the EU’. This research examines the EU’s use of trade policy to export environmental norms to third states. It adopts a governmentality perspective, focusing on the rationalities of EU government, the construction of EU identity at the global level, and the use of trade law as a technique of (global) government.
International trade law, European internal market law, free movement of goods, international human rights law, international environmental law.
- L.J. Ankersmit & J.C. Lawrence, J.C. “The Future of Environmental Labelling: the Tuna II panel and the scope of the TBT,” 39(1) Legal Issues of Economic Integration 127-147 (2012).
- L.J. Ankersmit, J.C. Lawrence, & G.T. Davies, “Diverging EU and WTO Perspectives on Extraterritorial Process Regulation,” 21 Minnesota Journal of International Law (online) 14-94 (2012).
- D. Bodansky & J.C. Lawrence, “Trade and Environment,” in The Oxford Handbook of International Trade Law (2009).
VU University Amsterdam
Faculty of Law
De Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam