The Doctorate Regulations of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam officially establish the rules to which the PhD track is bound. These regulations are applicable to all individuals conducting PhD research under the supervision of a VU-based promoter and intend to defend their thesis at VU Amsterdam. The regulations include:
- Steps a PhD candidate must take to be admitted to the PhD tract;
- The 30 EC PhD training requirements;
- Conditions regarding the (number of) supervisors;
- Composition of the Thesis Committee;
- Final terms for acquiring a PhD;
- Requirements for cum laude award;
- Procedure concerning double degrees and joint doctorates.
At the Faculty of Law it is possible to acquire your PhD on the basis of a scientific monograph, or a collection of separate articles. In both cases, the guideline for the size of the thesis is a maximum of 300 pp. (100.000 words). For candidates attaining their PhD on the basis of articles, there are a number of additional requirements. You can read more about these requirements in the Thesis Directive.
PhD Programme at VU Amsterdam
See additional and general information on doing a PhD programme on the VU Amsterdam website.